Monday, November 3, 2008

Budak Kelantan

Out of depression and upsetness last Friday (as per my last posting), I went for a movie. An unplanned one. While still working on a report at the office, a friend of mine (a Lecturer from the uni where I did my part time lecturing) buzzed me, inviting me to a movie entitled 'Budak Kelantan'.
Honestly, little did I know theres a movie on this title. She said another colleague of her told her that the story is interesting. The timing was right. I need a break and automatically said yes to her. We went to Alamanda Putrajaya and watched it at GSC. Something really got into me that day that I accepted the invitation. It was the second time in my life I went for a Malay Movie. The first was Cinta Kolestrol long time ago with my cousin. But this time it was special because I went to see 'Budak Kelantan' straight from work on a Friday in a Baju Kurung. Can you imagine? I totally forgot about my appearance.

Anyhow, I did enjoy myself. Not so much of the storyline or what but the fact that I got to listen to Kelantanese dialect in a whole movie and am proud of the language uttered. Seriously. Being a Kelantanese myself and been residing in KL since 1983, some of the words used in the movie remininced me of my growing up days in Kuala Krai and Kota Bharu. Nowadays, we still speak Kelantanese, of course, but not all words. For example, the word run or 'lari', we used to say 'ungga' but now we seldom use the word, instead we said, 'lari' as well. And many more. I smiled and laughed a lot merely listening to the words spoken.

For the review of the story, please go to this link. Funny thing is that its written in both Kelantanese dialect and English version. See if you can understand the Kelantanese version, found it while browsing.


All in all, I rate the movie as 3.5 out of 5. Reason: Not all Kelantanese are as depicted in the movie. It is definitely not representative, just a scenario of one group. Should highlight those successful ones too. In that movie, the successful ones are graduates of UM but with no permanent job and selling burger and drinks by the roadside. Can do better actually... he he.. Not to forget, the dikir barat songs, so nostalgic,with photos of the places enroute KB-KL. Anyhow, it was a good and entertaining movie. I forget my unhappiness on that day. Hopefully theres a sequel to the film. Well done.

Kalambicara is still smiling recalling Jaha's conversation with Buchek when they first met :)

6 comments:

Paksu said...

Orang lain tengok akan cakap "Ni boleh masuk reality show Gadis Melayu ni. Dah la tengok cerita Melayu, siap pakai baju kurung."

Hehehe...

juicyjuice said...

k.ros,kita dok follow drama bicara cinta kat astro prima sbb suka dengar fauziah nawi and aqasha kecek klate..mcm real siot..
they eitehr speak kelantanese or english..keless

Muhd Izhar Abu Samah said...

gapo demo tak ghoyak ko kawe nak tengok cerito tu...kawe ghaso nak tengok gak. Saing2 kawe ghoyak best.

Ammiada said...

akak, baca komen akak pasal citer ni teruja plak saya nak tgk even i'm not kelantanese... :)

montel said...

erm... kesimpulan..

montel said...

lama cuti dari update blog nampak..takpe line clear