Monday, November 5, 2007

Destressing Oneself

Last weekend I attended a session organised by our HR Department entitled 'Stress Management' at Holiday Villa, Subang. About the content, okay la... introducing us to the 7 chakras, more into the holistic and conventional healing, evoking our sub-conscious mind, some self reflections, some breathing and massage techniques, a bit of self meditation, bla bla bla...

I had attended a few Stress Management course throughout my career and each has its own uniqueness. The western gurus methods are of course a bit different than the asian gurus. For this particular session, what I remembered most is these three questions posted by the facilitator:

1. What good have you done to yourself?
2. What good have you done to your parents?
3. What good have you done to your brothers and sisters (siblings)?

Well, to be frank, I am satisfied with my answers (in my heart) for both questions 2 and 3, but definitely not for question 1. I still feel that I have not done enough for myself. I am more concern for the happiness of others. Just like a candle, burning oneself to brighten others. But, I have no regrets. To me, its part of the responsibilities, especially being the eldest, and as the breadwinner. Nevertheless, there are times...of course! And, as a result, after the session was over, I went to pamper myself at the Subang Parade, had my manicure and pedicure! Thought of going for some hair treatment after that, but had to rush home since one of my aunties invited us for a 'Nasi Dagang' gathering that nite.

Destressing oneself, in my opinion, is very subjective. To me, reading a good book with nice background songs is a bliss. Baking is also one way of destressing myself. Watching a good show is one too. Travelling or sight seeing is another one that I truly enjoyed. One thing I know for sure is that I am one person who really believe in myself and dare to take new challenges with confident, without a single doubt. I have learnt to depend on me, myself, long time ago. This is the attitude that I shaped in me to be what I am now. It was hard actually, damned hard. But, I survived. I stick to believe in me. I learnt to accept things and learnt to switch-off things that I could not accept, without feeling guilty whatsoever. Life is indeed stressful, but I have learned to take it in stride and walk talk, come what may... Not matter what people want to take from me, they just can't take away my dignity. Because I believe strongly in myself! Just like Whitney Houston's 'Greatest Love of All' eh? :)

Well, back at the office today, to some maybe, with a new perspective. A new way forward of taking matters in hand, to avoid stress... hmmm... to me... just be myself, stick to my beliefs and principles and continue as me...

The two-day session was indeed a great escapism from work and a chance to show my true colours and to mingle with my colleagues, in an informal situation. It was good. You had a chance to get to know people whom previously you smiled merely a second when you met at the corridor. Well, well, some people are not as how we perceived they were. And of course there will be someone who had touched your heart once you get to know them in a situation like this. I found one that I enjoyed talking to, with the same wavelength, worn the same thinking caps and enjoyed the same food. Thanks for being here friend and for the opportunity to get to know you better... Also, for introducing me to someone inspirational...appreciate it very much.

Kalambicara quits bicara now... to destress myself!

1 comment:

Wadi: said...

Hey there Kak Ros,

OMG, it has been ages we have not last met. How's things with you there? Thanks very much for your congratulatory note. Do pray for my success in starting my PhD in 2009 yeah (subject to scholarship availability). In the meantime, I hope it's not that too or very late to wishing you Salam Shawwal and Maaf Zahir & Batin. Take care. Cheerio! :)