Monday, November 19, 2007

Preoccupied Weekend

I was fully occupied during the weekend, yesterday and day before. In fact my weekend activities started last Friday night itself.

Back from work, I arrived home at about 8.00pm and freshened up a little bit, then out we (my sister and I) went to Giant Bandar Puteri for our monthly grocery shopping. It was quite a late do for this month as I was quite busy with office work and attending to training here and there. So, most of the supplies were really out at home and the Chef aka Home Guardian Angel (my mum, of course) almost gave up doing her daily chores.

Saturday morning by 8.00 am I was already at the Toyota Service Centre in PJ for the routine car service and spent time until 3.00pm. Not a major service but the queue was terrible, though we had booked two weeks in advance. Maybe its because of school holidays and parents sent cars for servicing, with plans to travel comfortably taking their children to various holiday destinations...maybe.

Then we had guests at 4.00pm, my auntie and her children and at night, also we had guests, an uncle and his wife. Thank God my mum who is always on the alert for walk-in guests had earlier prepared spaghetti and mee curry. So, there was not a problem of what to serve our guests. And there goes my Saturday, waiting and reading at the service centre and entertaining to relatives at home.

Come Sunday, I had a pre-planned acttivity. I had registered myself to the Bakersguide Baking Class in my housing estate and the class started at 9.00am. So, another day of my weekend unable to continue my usual weekend favourites; lazing on bed, reading a novel, fall asleep again, wake up, grab the book, read again.. and the cycle goes on. No, no, not the last weekend.

I arrived at Bakersguide 15 minutes late and the class has not started yet. It was kind of the Chef to wait for me..hu hu.. Well, actually I am the ardent buyer of their baking ingredients and always frequent the shop for my baking needs. He knew me and thats the reason for the wait. Sorry classmates.

Today, I learnt to make bread. I have made bread before a few times. White bread, raisins plaited bread, sweet buns, etc. But that was through my own method merely based on the instructions in the recipes. Chef Eric taught us the proper bread making. And my, it was actually a bit tedious and all had to be done in a systematic way, step-by-step. I almost lost my patience. Chef Eric said, breadmaking will teach you to be patient and gentle. Hah! Me? Patient and gentle! I almost laughed myself out loud. But I controlled then. For those who knew me will know that I am someone who speak fast, walk fast,and a bit far from being gentle in action (though I am gentle when comes to matters of the heart).

Thus, in the class, during the hands-on session, I was asked to slow down a few times by Chef Eric. he he Sorry Chef... I was just 'tak sabar' to see things done the way a slow-motion picture is played. But I did as told by Chef Eric. It gives me a kind of feeling, a sense of power controlling, learning to hold back and concentrate on the task (of kneading and rolling and brushing the egg wash, etc). It was really fun. Bread making did provide a kind of pleasure and satisfaction. Indeed, when moulding the dough, I felt like I am actually moulding me and my self esteem! (and no, I am not crazy, still in sanity!) And frankly, I do like that kind of feeling that was sipped in my body, slow and steady. Not the usual 'adrenalin rush' feeling that was always in sync with me and my body and soul whenever I am in tasks.

The physical end result of the lesson learnt from the breadmaking class today which ended at 3.00pm were the Chocolate Chips Bun, Kaya Bun, Sausage Bun, Red Bean Bun, Chicken Floss Bun, Tuna Bun and Cheese Stick. All the sweet bun family from the same master recipe and dough. Heres the photo of what I (yes, my own fruit of labour!) made today at Bakersguide. It looked exactly like the ones on display at the bakery. Honestly, I swear to God, I did made those myself, with my own bare hands! My siblings jokingly said that I bought them to bring home. They always bullied me... pity, pity me!

Though my weekend was packed with activities, I am truly contented. Satisfied. No regrets for leaving the bed earlier...

Kalambicara is missing the bed now... am heading to it as fast as I can!

No comments: