Monday, October 8, 2007

Baking eh?

With full of zest, I started my day today planning to bake some Chocolate Chip Cookies for Raya. I have a few versions of the recipes and never did the same recipe twice. I am the type who likes to try new recipes and amend accordingly. Since I bought the Hershey's Milk Chocolate Chips, I thought of trying the recipes available at the packaging. But, in the process, I realized the dough was so soft... something is wrong somewhere. With a bit of frustration, I, as usual, had to make my own adjustments to the dough. See, when you have been baking often, you will know the texture of the dough whether its gonna turn out well or not. As alternative to flour, I blended some oats into powdery form and added to the dough until I could feel the right texture. Tried baking the first tray. It turned out well. Looks and smells good, just like the free smell from the great Famous Amos cookies. Asked my youngest sister who was not fasting to taste, and she ended up finishing almost a whole tray to herself while watching television. From there I knew the answer. And am satisfied with myself.
My Chocolate Chip Cookies

Baking has always been my passion. But due to my tight schedule (plus laziness at times!), I seldom embark into it. With the advent of the internet, I can get various recipes. Last three weeks I tried the Apple and Walnut Cake. (Just because we had so many apples uneaten in the refrigerator). Everybody likes it so much that I baked one each week for three consecutive weeks. Everybody in the house also know that when I started to bake, then I'm okay. But, if I spent time gazing at the ceiling in my bedroom, then something is not right. So obvious laaa....right?! (Jibeng pun tahu...!) Now they are pestering me to make pumpkin pie with vanilla icecream. I've done that before and it was so sinfully tasteful. Definitely not going to do it for Raya. Thats for special family occasion.

Somehow or rather, I do feel that some people do not sincerely post their recipes correctly. Many times, when trying new recipes, I have to adjust accordingly. I normally encontered with disaster if I followed strictly to the recipes given. Theres always a bit of adjustment to be done. I learnt my lesson well. Guess, that might be some of their ways to protect their IPR! (Intellectual Property Rights - betul tak Wadi? he he).

I planned to bake three more types of cookies for Raya and a few cakes and some cupcakes with icing toppings but am not sure whether I have time or not. Had bought all the ingredients for baking and had identified what to bake, just a matter of doing it. Work is still aplenty at the office that I dare not take leave too long before Raya, though I still have a few more days before my contract as the Consultant ends in January. Que Sera Sera!

Enough bicara, got to go to bed (and start gazing at the ceiling!) for tomorrow is a working day.

Kalambicara stops bicara now. zzzzzzzzz...

2 comments:

Iz said...

..and don't forget to bring all those deliciously claimed cookies for us hehehe.. lapar baca entry ni :-)

Anonymous said...

ye la kalambicara, your sis might be biased so bring some for us. 1 doesn't count as a vote ya. Tak sabar nak rasa the Triple C's, decadent huh.